5ab5traction5 - World Wide and Wonderful

Fixing Raku Unicode display issues in Windows

I've been using Windows 10 for a while as I wait to install a new m2 SSD in this laptop to provide a dedicated place for Linux. I've noticed some very strange and disappointing issues with Unicode characters when running Raku from a terminal.

Thanks to #raku on Freenode, I managed to find a solution:

chcp 65001

This changes the Unicode code page to 65001 and magically fixes the issues I was seeing.

UPDATE

To make the change more permanent, it is possible to use change some registry key values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage. Modify ACP, MACCP, and OEMCP all to value 65001, give the OS a reboot, et voila!

Thanks to the ever-present raiph for his reddit comment which pointed me to a Stack Overflow question from a user facing the same problem, which in turn pointed to the solution provided for a question from a C# programmer.

#raku #windows

- 1 toasts